Sewer Manhole Maintenance
- All manholes must be accessible for routine inspections and maintenance. Those residents who want to hide a manhole on their property may place a lightweight planter or other easily moveable object on top of the manhole, but whatever object must be small enough that crews can easily move the object by hand with no special equipment.
- Manholes cannot be be buried because they need to be easily accessible.
- Manholes can be painted upon approval of the Public Service Director or Public Service Superintendent.
- Manholes may need to be raised to grade. If raising is necessary, digging will be required. After performing the necessary digging, crews will to the best of their ability return the property to basic original conditions by performing seeding or laying mulch as needed around the manhole.
- Crews may need to access these manholes on your private property. Typically, if your yard needs to be accessed, you will receive a letter or a door hanger will be placed at your residence if the maintenance is planned. Whether planned or emergency, if crews plan to be at your residence for longer than one hour, a crew member will also attempt to make direct contact with someone at the residence to alert them to the necessary work.
- BE ON THE LOOKOUT! If you see an overflowing manhole, detect a sewer odor or observe evidence of sewer on the ground or in a stream, please report this by calling the Public Service Department at 614.855.0076 (or the New Albany Police Department at 614.855.1234 after 5 PM on weekdays or anytime during weekends). With your help, we can keep the lines flowing!