Door-to-Door Operations in New Albany
Because public safety is a prime concern of the New Albany Police Department, all door-to-door operations must apply for and receive a solicitor’s permit prior to doing any work in New Albany. Without exception, everyone applying for a solicitor’s permit goes through the process described below:
1. Applicants must apply in person at the New Albany Police Department.
2. Applicant must produce a valid ID to receive an approved permit.
3. Solicitor’s permits are not necessary for religious or political activities.
4. Police staff perform a Better Business Bureau and law enforcement database background check to identify any past criminal activity. A permit will be denied if there is any past criminal activity.
5. Once a solicitor’s permit is approved, police staff create a permit photo ID that the solicitor must wear at all times when going door-to-door in New Albany.
6. These permits include rules for solicitation, have expiration dates and can be revoked at any time.
7. If you do not see a solicitor wearing this permit photo ID card, assume the solicitor has not been approved by New Albany police.
8. Residents who do not want solicitors to come to their homes can receive a window decal from the New Albany Police Department prohibiting solicitors from knocking on their doors. For more information, call 855.1234 or come to the police station at 50 Village Hall Road East to receive one of these decals.
9. If solicitors do not have their permit, they are violating a city ordinance and the police staff encourages you to politely decline the product or service.
10. If you want to report a solicitor with no permit, call the New Albany police at 855.1234. If calling, be prepared to provide a physical description, clothing, direction of travel and mode of transportation so that the police can investigate the matter. For your own personal safety, DO NOT attempt to detain anyone.
11. Approval of a solicitor’s permit in no way implies endorsement of any product or service by the City of New Albany or the New Albany Police Department.
12. The link to the City of New Albany’s ordinance regarding solicitation can be found here. Type in “solicitor” in the word search to access the ordinance (it is Chapter 739).
If you have further questions, please call 855.1234.