Walking & Running Tips – Stay Safe
The New Albany Police Department wants to help keep you safe. Before you leave for your walk or run…
• Plan your outing. Always tell someone your routes and where you are going.
• Take your cell phone with you.
• Wear an identification tag or carry a driver’s license. Include important medical information.
• Don’t wear jewelry and carry little cash.
• Wear reflective material.
On the road…
• Tell a family member or friend where you are going and the time you expect to be back.
• Stay alert at all times. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are.
• Run or walk with a partner and/or a dog.
• Don’t wear headsets. Listen to your surroundings.
• Exercise in familiar areas and vary your route.
• Avoid unpopulated areas and poor lighting.
• Run against traffic so you can observe automobiles approaching.
• Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Look directly at others and be observant, but keep your distance and keep moving. If asked for directions, stay arms length away.
• Trust your intuition about a person or area.
• Call the New Albany Police (855.1234) if anything seems out of the ordinary. If something happens that is potentially life threatening, call 911.